We tell you briefly some of the possible places of interest that you could visit on day trips. We are at your disposal to inform you about these places and many others that you can enjoy if you decide to visit us. In the library of the House you will find, The same, detailed information about the environment.
It is one of the 7 municipalities that are part of the National Park of Monfragüe so an important part of its municipal area is declared reserve of the biosphere by UNESCO Monfragüe.
Highlights the parish church San Juan Bautista. This is one of the best examples of architecture of the sixteenth century extremeña, decadent Gothic, joining with the Renaissance, with Baroque details. His extraordinary XVII century altarpiece was made in Valladolid and is considering one of the greatest exponents of Spanish altarpieces preserved in the province of Cáceres. It was declared of cultural interest with national monument by the Council of the regional Government of Extremadura in 1990.Malpartida church
Interest three chapels: Hermitage of Nuestra Sra de la Luz built before of 1595, San Gregorio prior to 1686 and former San Blas to 1826.
Its rich landscape, animal, vegetable and its well-preserved biodiversity, they have earned him the Declaration of Natural Park, from 1979, in 1988 Area of special protection for birds and National Park since 2009.
The Romans gave the name of "Monfragum" to this park (Monte Fragoso), but it was already inhabited in earlier centuries by the prerromanos, which have left evidence of their passage through this area in various remains of burials. However, is no evidence of settlements dating back to the prehistoric period. We find evidence of that in the Cave situated near the Castle, where you can see cave paintings and bronze age funerary stelae.
Also the Muslims occupied this area, changing its designation, which came to call "the Monfrag". Muslims left in its wake that is today one of the most representative and popular Park, the castle of Monfragüe.
The Leonese Kings left the area in the hands of the order of Santiago, It will be the Hermitage which lift to keep the image of our Lady of the mount Gandio during the reign of Felipe II. The reign of Sancho IV, the Cardinal's bridge is preserved, as its name suggests, It was commissioned by the cardinal Juan de Cardenal, in 1450.
In the first centuries of the reign of the House of Bourbon, It boosted surveillance on the trade route that crossed the Tagus River with help of caravans and who was then Trujillo joined with Plasencia. It was this reason that in the 18th century was founded San Carlos Villareal, currently one of the park information centres.
Fauna and flora in the Park:
They include the Imperial Eagle (couples con10), the Eagle road (with 24 couples), the Black Vulture, Black Stork (with 30 couples), Griffon Vulture (with more than 400 couples), OWL Real, Eagle Real, Short-toed eagle (20 couples), Bonelli's Eagle, the Egyptian vulture (with 35 couples). The Black Vulture is in serious danger of extinction and Monfragüe has the largest colony around the world, with more than 200 couples.
They also nest in the crags of Monfragüe, other birds such as the goshawk and sparrowhawk. In the Meadow we can also find the Elanio Azul
In rangeland scavengers birds such as the Egyptian vulture or the vultures feed on, mainly the corpses of livestock like sheep, cows, pigs and goats, also deer and wild boars. The Imperial Eagle has as main food rabbit. In the aquatic environment we have also Martín Pescador, the Heron and Imperial
Among the thick hide species such as the Iberian lynx, also in serious danger of extinction. The Otter is the only mammal in Monfragüe inhabiting in the aquatic environment. We can also find the Mongoose, the deer, La Gineta , the Wildcat, the garden Dormouse, of the dehesa, like Marten , or weasels.
More than twenty-six different species of fish can be found in different aquatic habitats: Rivers, Reservoirs and ponds. As most abundant species: Barbo, CARP, Bordallo, Boga River, Calandino, Eel, Tench and Pardilla.
Other species to be highlighted are among the reptiles, the Ocellated lizard and tortoise leper, very abundant in these banks. Among the amphibians, the southern frog and Newts.
In terms of vegetation, with the exception of eucalyptus, the vegetation of Monfragüe is native to presenting great diversity of spaces: Holm, forest, Mediterranean scrub, spaces containing many species, the most important: Oaks, Cork oaks, Jaras, Heather, Arbutus, Juniper, Terebinth, Alders, Lames, Acebuche, but there are more than 348 different plant species in total.
Monfragüe forms two slopes, solana and umbria. In umbria is the representation of primeval forest, appearing trees as the Cork oak, also finding Maple, Cornicabra, Strawberry trees and as a reminiscence of the subtropical climate, the Honeysuckle, Laburnum, Rusco, Mirto, Tree Heath and sarsaparilla.
However in the solana , the vegetation is adapted to drought and high summer temperatures, and trees that appear are: Encina, Acebuche, Piruetano or wild pear trees, Olivilla, who, San Blas, Cantuesos, Rockroses and gorse. In the grassland can be found up to 40 different species of herbaceous plants per m2.
In the natural ecosystem of ribera, We find trees such as Alder, Willows, Ash, all protectors of the banks against erosion.
The city of Plasencia, is located at 7 Malpartida KMS and is known, among other things, as the capital of the Jerte. It was founded by King Alfonso VIII in the year 1180. During the year 1.189 Pope Clement III elevated it to Episcopal headquarters. During this century began the construction of the first cathedral, of Romanesque style, known as Cathedral old that remained unfinished and attached to it was built the new Cathedral of Plateresque style.
The city boasts a wide range of noble houses and palaces in old town, It reflects the splendour of the past.
According to the scheme of the medieval city, the walled enclosure is organized in a radial way, where the streets, in many cases, narrow and winding, they converge in a single point, Plaza Mayor, the life of the city center. It is the Municipal Palace (Town Hall) built in the 16th century, and whose bell tower are one of the symbols of the city: Grandpa Mayorga.
THE origin of medieval and therefore defensive city, It is reflected in the few remains of what used to be the great walls that surrounded the city. The remains currently preserved, They allow us to make a quite approximate composition of its main features.
Once a year there is a spectacular and unique fact: thousands of cherry trees flowers cover the field and the landscape is covered with a white mantle of the petals. The magnificent scent of flowers makes spring special in all the Valle del Jerte. El Mirador of puerto de Tornavacas is an ideal place to watch all the landscape value of this area.
The inhabitants of the region celebrate this bloom with a big party that opens the season of cherry.
The Garganta de los Infiernos is one of the places required to visit these places. In it you can see waterfalls and large waterfalls. She was named reserve in 1994.
Harmony between nature and the numerous rural cores, with very characteristic and unique architecture.
The region of la Vera has 5 peoples considered artistic historical sets:
Garganta la Olla: It is characterized by the charm of its ancient streets that retain the traditional architecture verata (adobe houses, wood and stone). It has beautiful natural pools.
Cuacos de Yuste: in this town is located the monastery of Yuste. It also has a well-known German cemetery.
Pasarón de la Vera: town of medieval buildings of interest.
Valverde de la Vera: its streets, typical of Jewish-medieval architecture, they are narrow and winding to combat the winter cold, with regueras flowing through the Centre of the pavement to distribute water for irrigation of the orchards and easy cleaning of the town. Most homes are built with stone wall on the ground floor, Adobe half-timbered first floor and more, a characteristic element of the House verata.
Villanueva de la Vera: its architecture is the best preserved area. You can visit the waterfall of the devil more of 70 security fence.
The Emperor Carlos V chose to spend his last days of life in this monastery, becoming known for such circumstances, In addition to its artistic richness and its location in a privileged area of the region of La Vera. It is close to Cuacos de Yuste, in a place full of calm, surrounded by groves and small streams.
The origin of this monastery dates back to the 15th century, When a group of residents of La Vera decided to build a monastery for shelter to hermits and, subsequently, the monks of the order of Saint Jerome. This small building ended up becoming the monastic ensemble we know today. With the arrival of the Emperor, its dependencies were built, a simple House-Palace, without decorative elements.
The 3 February's 1557 took place the entrance of Carlos V in Yuste. The route of the Emperor Charles V, Festival of tourist interest in Extremadura, It commemorates each year in February that last trip of the Emperor from the Palace of the counts of Oropesa, in Jarandilla de la Vera, up to the monastery.
The Royal Monastery of Yuste is part of the national heritage of Spain and is home to the Foundation European Academy of Yuste, dedicated to advancing the spirit of union in Europe.
Since its inception it had defensive as shown in medieval streets distribution, with a radial structure that part of Plaza Mayor and connects them with the doors and the defensive wall. It was founded by Muslims in the 9th century who built with stone and mortar wall that surrounds the Villa. In the 12th century it was reconquered by Fernando II. In the 15th century, the first count of the House of Alba, He had built the defense tower located on the remains of the Arab alcazaba.
She was evicted in the middle of the 20th century as a result of the Declaration of flooded area due to the construction of the dam of Gabriel y Galán. In 1980 the town was declared a historic-artistic site, and four years later, in 1984, It was chosen for inclusion in the programme of recovery of villages abandoned.
Rehabilitation and recovery of Granadilla started from the year 1986, that was urgently restored Castle due to its sorry state of deterioration because of the rains.
Visiting hours: Monday will be closed.
April to October: morning of 10.00 to 13.30 and evenings of 16.00 to 20.00
November to March: morning of 10.00 to 13.30 and evenings of 16.00 to 18.00
Located to the North of the province of Cáceres, the border of the province of Salamanca. Surrounded by mountains, It is a true garden of nature, a special microclimate provided a few mild winters and cool summers. This Valley adjoins the Jerte Valley through the port of Honduras, of 1.435 m, enclave of special beauty.
Note also the Jewish quarter Hervás (to 55 Malpartida km), monumental complex, inherited architectural beauty of the Sephardic culture, today belonging to the national network of Jewish quarters. Streets, his humble constructions of wood and adobe (mud uncooked). Its Templar castle today Church of Santa Maria and perfect viewpoint of the town and the sierra.
Some 50 Malpartida km, Las Hurdes is a green region with innumerable waterfalls, meanders of great beauty such as the meander Melero fruit of the whimsical tour of the Alagón River, rivers and streams of waters that have favored the preservation of rich vegetation auctoctona.
The villages of the region, characterized by its uniqueness and authenticity which provided the remain inaccessible for years ago that we can now enjoy the typical architecture.
TO 42 Malpartida km lies the town of Pedroso de Acim, where is this tiny monastery where San Pedro de Alcántara started his hermit life. It is a monastery of such small dimensions that is known today as the Conventico.
TO 80 Malpartida km, by motorway, is this historical city declared world heritage city by UNESCO in 1986 It retains one of the most impressive monumental heritages of Spain. More than one dozen towers preside over its historic delimited by Arab walls. Cobbled streets punctuated casas-fortaleza medieval and Renaissance palaces.
Its history is closely linked to one of the historical routes of the Peninsula, the Vía de la Plata, Roman road that linked Seville with Astorga.
TO 75 Malpartida km by the EX-208 is this historical city of Extremadura. Located between the lowlands of the rivers Tagus and Guadiana, houses an important collection of churches, castles and manor houses that are structured in lathe to the Plaza Mayor and which is declared of Cultural interest. But, In addition, This city Cáceres has left an important mark on history, in the 16th century was home to illustrious characters linked to the discovery of America. For this reason, Trujillo is framed in the Middle route of the conquistadors, it traverses other Extremaduran towns such as Medellín, Villanueva de la Serena or Jerez de los Caballeros.
TO 116 km Malpartida and in the Sierra de las Villuercas this town in the province of Cáceres is. The town was declared a historic-artistic monument the 27 September of 1943 and Santa María de Guadalupe was declared Patron Saint of Extremadura in 1907 Queen of Spain and the 12 October of 1928.
This sanctuary was monastery almost since the beginning of its construction, at the beginning of the 14th century, the monks of the order of St. Jerome lived it up 1835, making it one of the most important centers of Marian devotion. Since then and up to 1908, in which the Franciscan order took charge of the temple, suffered the consequences of the total abandonment. Was this last order which got, After numerous restorations, the monastery regained its former splendour.
It was declared the 11 December of 1993 World Heritage Site by UNESCO.